- Why do you think the strange things hapenning on the farm make Gelbane so cross?
- What would your response be if a bird started talking to you? Would you follow him into the woods? Why or why not?
- Why does Mae think the idea of her being a Protector of the Wedge is a ridiculous idea? Would your size stop you from doing something you wanted to do?
- Mae returns to the farm instead of staying with the wizards. Is there something you love so much that you would have returned for it too even though staying away would mean a better life?
- Callum is impressed by the lesson learned in a simple human’s nursery rhyme. Can you think of other nursery rhymes or short stories that teach a lesson? What is the lesson it is trying to teach?
- With a swish of her wand, Maewyn brings some toadstools to life. What would you create if you had magick?
- River Weed Starr explains how he got his name. Using the Giant’s explanation, what would your name be if you were born a giant?
- If your best friend told you they had magick would you believe them? Why or why not? What kind of magick would you like to have? What kind of magick do you thin would be the most useful?
- How would you feel if you discovered that your mother was eaten by a troll?
- What was it that made Mae’s magick so strong that she could replace the protections on the bridge? What memories do you have that could create powerful magick?
- What adventures do you think Mae and Leif will stumble into next?
Read a sample from Hapenny Magick, here.